Print with images | Back to page

The lapidarium

Architectural details

This is a collection of stone sculptures and architectural details (over 2000) discovered during conservation works and archaeological research conducted on Wawel hill from the end of the 19th c. The largest section includes examples of Renaissance and Baroque stonework, Gothic details – fragments of rib vaults, keystones and parts of tracery decoration, mainly from archaeological research conducted in the area of the Gothic churches of St. George and St. Michael. The most valuable set consists of the elements of architectural decoration of the royal castle, primarily from the arcaded courtyard, which was damaged and later replaced by copies during restoration work conducted under Z. Hendel’s supervision in the years 1905-1914. These are primarily fragments of Renaissance capitols of courtyard columns, impost blocks, covered passageways, window frames and door lintels.

A BULL. Romanesque sculpture, 10th/11th c. sandstone. Found during excavation works in the northern part of the hill, in the foundations of the Romanesque tower close to the ’24-pillar hall’. The oldest example of stone sculpture, contained in The Lost Wawel exhibition.

THE ZATOR ALTAR.  Bartolomeo Berecci’s workshop, 1st quarter of the 16th c. Sculpted in Pińczów sandstone; over 3 metres high. Originally in the Holy Trinity chapel in Wawel Cathedral, from where it was donated to the church in Zator in the 19th c.; after the Second World War it was returned to Wawel. The framing of the central scene has survived: a tympanum with God the Father, two columns and pilasters and a frame with a rich candelabrum ornament and cherubim heads, and also two column bases and the founder’s tablet.

Beata Kwiatkowska-Kopka