The documentation of the collection is among the main tasks of the museum. The basic academic documentation is included in paper catalogues, superseded in 2002 with an electronic catalogue. A series of catalogues of museum collections published by Wawel Royal Castle presents complete information about particular museum exhibits or their collections, including academic discussion and a bibliography. So far the following catalogues have been published:
- M. Skubiszewska, Italian painting in the Wawel collection, Kraków 1973
- M. Piątkiewicz-Dereniowa, Italian majolica in the Wawel collection, Kraków 1975
- M. Piątkiewicz-Dereniowa, Meissen china in the Wawel collection, v. 1-2, Kraków 1983
- M. Piątkiewicz-Dereniowa, Delft faience in the Wawel Royal Castle collection, Kraków 1996
- Fischinger, D. Nowacki, Goldsmithery in the old Royal and Princely Prussia in the Wawel Royal Castle collection, Kraków 2000
- M. Hennel-Bernasikowa, Tapestries from the 15th to the 19th c. in Wawel Royal Castle, Kraków 2000
- J. Winiewicz-Wolska, Dutch painting in Wawel Royal Castle collection, Kraków 2001
Temporary exhibition catalogues are of a similar character.
Works on collections or particular works of art and historic mementos are also included in other Wawel publications, e.g. "Study of Wawel history" v, 1-4 (complete series), "Studia Waweliana" - an annual publication and the "Wawel Library" series.